Queen Anne's Lace, also called "Wild Carrot," is a common plant in dry fields, ditches, and open areas. It was introduced from Europe, and the carrots that we eat today were once cultivated from this plant.
Queen Anne's Lace grows up to four feet tall. Its leaves are two to eight inches long and fern-like. This plant is best known for its flowers, which are tiny and white, blooming in lacy, flat-topped clusters. Each little flower has a dark, purplish center.
This plant blooms from May to October. It is a biennial plant, which means it lives for two years. It will spend the first year growing bigger, and then bloom the second year.
Since Queen Anne's Lace was introduced to this country, many people consider it an invasive weed. It will sometimes crowd and compete with native plants.
Some animals have benefited from the arrival of this wildflower. Caterpillars of the Eastern Black Swallowtail butterfly eat the leaves, bees and other insects drink the nectar, and predatory insects, such as the Green Lacewing, come to Queen Anne's Lace to attack prey, such as aphids.
People can eat the large taproot, which of course, is a carrot. The leaves of the plant, though, are toxic, and may irritate the skin.
Why, You are asking am I writing about Queen Anne's Lace? I have always thought it was pretty and fascinating in the way it is so abundant as you drive around the countryside in east Tennessee.
Amy and Sophia were leaving today to head home to South Carolina and Amy thought they would like to go to the Apple Barn and store in Pigeon Forge on their way. So we headed up that way this morning. Pigeon Forge this time of the year is not my forte; but I drove up there because I do enjoy the food. Who can resist, apple julep, apple fritters, apple butter, homemade vegetable soup and crispy fried chicken. "Not I" said Linda Lane... connoisseur of way too many delicious restaurants to count! So I fought the crazy tourist traffic, waited in a short line and ate till my tummy was full. It was good and I even brought some home for later too! Amy shopped for apple stuff for her dear neighbors Elaine and Bob Prindle. They have been guardians looking out for her home while she has been on the road. They deserve some special goodies.
Amy and Sophia were leaving today to head home to South Carolina and Amy thought they would like to go to the Apple Barn and store in Pigeon Forge on their way. So we headed up that way this morning. Pigeon Forge this time of the year is not my forte; but I drove up there because I do enjoy the food. Who can resist, apple julep, apple fritters, apple butter, homemade vegetable soup and crispy fried chicken. "Not I" said Linda Lane... connoisseur of way too many delicious restaurants to count! So I fought the crazy tourist traffic, waited in a short line and ate till my tummy was full. It was good and I even brought some home for later too! Amy shopped for apple stuff for her dear neighbors Elaine and Bob Prindle. They have been guardians looking out for her home while she has been on the road. They deserve some special goodies.
Amy and Sophia headed northeast and I decided to go south over the mountain towards one of my favorite places Townsend, Tennessee. The city fathers are unfortunately relinquishing more and more of the land to the money grabbers, and 'soon it will be going the way of Pigeon Forge', I am sorry to say. Regardless, today as i drove the little winding back roads and lanes, I was privileged to see lots and lots of 'Queen Anne's Lace. I stopped, took a few photo's and wah lah...I share words and photo's on my blog. Good Day. LSL

No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.