It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Thursday, July 29, 2010

The Loveliness of a Field of Sunflowers

Field of Sunflowers
Cheerful sunflowers after the rain storm
Here's looking at you
Tallest in the family group!
















































Sometimes God gives you a special moment when you are not expecting it.
I am out and about in my community quite a bit and I travel on the small two lane roads as much as possible, mostly because I enjoy them but also because it helps to get where you are going in Knoxville a lot quicker.  I was traveling up this side road and lol and behold there was an entire field of  Sunflowers!  They were not the giant ones but they were around 5 feet tall and absolutely gorgeous in all of their splendor.  It was so amazing to see this.  I realize in many areas folks plant acres and acres of Sunflowers for harvesting, but not in dear ole' Powell, Tennessee.
A stand of Sunflowers....?

I have been trying to find the right word to describe how many there were.  Descriptive words are so interesting and vital when you are trying to get your point across. As a side note to this Curt and I use to have discussions like this when we would be out driving around.  It would go something like this 'Well would you consider that a host of something, or would that be a stand of something, or would that qualify as a group, a flock, a herd, a multitude, a magnitude.   I am sure you get the point!  

Regardless I was immensely pleased to happen upon this lovely sight and I thought I would share it with you.

I am trying to keep my camera with me when I am out and about so that I might capture the interesting things that seem to cross my path daily.  I was always saying 'gosh I wish I had the camera.'  Now I do!  Here's hoping  you have a good day and may all of us become more aware of the special moments everyday that are just there for the viewing.
LSJL

Update: 8/18/2015
It is hard for me to realize that five summer's have passed since I wrote these thoughts and snapped these photo's. When I look back and visualize in my mind the events that have happened in our lives since July 2010, it seems to have been but a blink of an eye...I am older, our children are older, our grandchildren are older, life has continued to revolve and evolve all around us, ever changing, turning and spinning ever forward.  When I began this blog it was a way for me to write and describe my innermost thought's and experiences as I reached toward the 'Sonshine of God's healing love. It was my way to rehab myself, and heal my grief.

What I have discovered somewhere along the way, is that no matter how many hours you spend with others, listening, sharing, reaching out, receiving love, care and tender mercies, it is through the loving grace of God, who abides within all of us, that shows us the way forward. None of us are the same, all of us are unique and different, our chemical and genetic make-up is only ours. I know for a certainty that this is true. I am thankful for this knowledge
"I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well" Psalm 139:14 

Every year at this time, I prepare my home for autumn. I take pleasure in decorating my home with Sunflowers and reflecting on the memories of when Curt and I would plant them in the garden in the spring and be amazed as they grew to gigantic proportions, not unlike our son, our daughter, and their son's and daughters. Lifting their flowery heads towards the sun almost to say nurture me LORD fill me with your light and goodness, show me the way to be the best that I can be. That my friends is what we all want, when we look back on our lives, that we were the best that we could be. Sunflowers also remind me to pray, as they finish their growth, they lower their heavy heads as if in prayer and await their next task. So when you drive around and see the sunflowers in the field, perhaps you will see them in a new and different way, and maybe it will give you a little perspective on life and the cycle of life as we know it.  Today I am grateful for the simplicity of  a Sunflower and the lessons it has shared with me. God Bless...LSJL

No comments:

Post a Comment

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.