Well the words are pouring out of me today. Memommie 'Lavender' just wanted to discover a little bit more on my ongoing Lavender adventure. When I got home from the Farmer's Market, next week-end is the annual Lavender Festival in Oak Ridge, which I have attended before with a few lady friends, I was curious about some of our local area Lavender Farms and did a little research. I found several within a few miles driving distance. I contacted MGM Lavender Farm, which stands for Marcee and Greg Matthews, and lol and behold they are down Emory Road and up North a little bit. I asked if they were open to visitors, and she invited me to do 'a come see', she said they were working on their items for the festival next week-end, so I said in true Memommie fashion, spur of the moment is the way I roll, and off I went...Marcee and Greg have a small family farm and decided to develop some of their land into Lavender acreage. The years they have been growing their plants have been a learning curve of trial and error as they learned the right way and the wrong way, as well as starting to begin the business side, right on the cusp of the 'infamous pandemic', so many small business hung on by their coat tails and faith, as they struggled to make a living, during those nightmare two years. Last year and this year they are beginning to see the glimmer of prosperity for their small farm venture. I found it very interesting, and I appreciated Marcee and Greg's kindness and gracious hospitality as I looked around the farm, and yes Oliver, I had my small Luminex camera and snapped a few photo's to share. My children and my grandchildren give Memommie the ultimate eye roll when I pull it out, instead of using my phone, oh well "I am, what I am," as Popeye, another old timer use to say. I of course was able to get one up on the Lavender festival crowd next Saturday, and made a few personal purchases for myself....Memommie Lavender Sachet for my intimate drawer, hanging Lavender for smelling and looking at for the next year, Memommie Lavender salve for those rough cuticles, and dry skin areas, reminding me of the year when I was 12 and ordered a gross, 12 dozen to be exact, of White Cloverine Salve from an ad I had seen in an Archie Comic Book, featuring Betty and Veronica, just knowing I could make my 12 year old fortune, problem was, I had no money to pay for the order which came to our door through the mail with the bill now due! Needless to say my Dad paid the bill, had a few stern words for me, and I began my long summer of going door to door in our new neighborood of Tangelo Park, close to Orlando, FL, trying to convince people how much they needed some White Cloverine Salve for a fifty cents, it was a long hot summer...When I was sorting through the personal items at our parent home after they had passed, I found 6 cans of White Cloverine Salve, that was in 2003 and ironically it was still just the same consistency as it had been in 1961, tears and memories were flowing on that forlorn day in November. I also got a darling bar of Memommie Lavender soap, so Lydia Mae if you want come to Tennessee, I will share my pretty aromatic soap with you and we will be the sweetest smelling Memommie and Girlyo in the east Tennessee Hill country.
On a more serious note: As I visited with this couple and sat on their porch in a woven back rocking chair, and smelled the heavenly sent of Lavender being prepared for the festival, I had a passing whimsical moment of what if: I could envision Curt and I taking on a small venture such as this one on our someday dream of a few acres out in the country. Alas it was not to be, but I know at least one of our grandson's, and his bride, and possibly our daughter and her husband, could very well step into those whimsical moments and without too much trouble fulfill, and accomplish such an idea, and make it profitable. May and June are Lavender season, in our area, and other seasons could be developed also! The photographer's of today are looking for small farm areas with natural resources and beauty for outdoor photo shoots, and will pay a fee for the opportunity. This couple had a few photographer's coming that evening at sunset for just that very scenario, while they sit on their porch, work up the lavender and sip their ice tea and watch the sunset over the hill behind their small family farm. Sounds like heaven here on earth to this Memommie Lavender....
Blessings...you have many this morning.
Take the time to count them. May this Son Day be a blessing to you and your family. May it fill you with peace, hope, and love for one another. God Bless...and He has...and He will...LSJL



No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.