Townsend the peaceful side of the Smoky Mountains, and long
may it remain so. The city Father’s from long ago were able to keep a lot of the
unsavory clutter and junk venders, that has taken over the Gatlinburg area, from
descending on Townsend and Cades Cove, it was and still is at certain times, where
you could drive, two lane mountain roads
alongside the Little River, watching it ripple and tumble over smooth river rock and small pebbles, that are a nice pastime, for skipping across the river, or ride an inner tube on the current, or catch a brown trout
and roast it over a fire, inhale a whiff of wood smoke from a camp fire, while taking in the peaceful atmosphere
and the spectacular mountain views and then dine in a small restaurant without too
much of a wait.
This morning I felt energetic enough to take a short drive, so
that my mind might sort through the wearisome information that I have received and
carry on my heart in regard to family and friends whom I love and care about, John
Muir words often find their way to me when I need to do some soul releasing and
they are accurate, “The Mountains are calling and I must go.” The Townsend foothills are near enough to home to take a drive and visit for a bit, allowing me go where I can meditate, relate and release as I talk to God about
all that I am carrying within me, today I needed a change of venue, and an to take the opportunity to have brunch at Dancing Bear Appalachian, Bistro, which allowed
me to ‘empty my soul and fill my innards’ as the mountain folk use to say.
It was quiet in the foothills this morning, traffic was light, most leaving and not arriving, and the weather was pleasant, “not too warm, not to cold, but just right”, as baby bear would say.
I thoroughly enjoyed my brunch this morning, I had wanted to check it out for future gatherings, I finally felt like giving it a try, today was the day, the last time I was there was before the pandemic, when my dear friend Susan and I went for their St Patrick’s Day dinner which we both thought was wonderful. Many times, when you enter a restaurant alone you are made to feel awkward, especially for special events such as this, but I was treated like royalty from the hostess, to the service staff, to the manager, they made what could have been an uncomfortable experience, into a special occasion experience that warrants high marks and a definite desire to return again and again.
I will qualify this by saying that The Appalachian Bistro is not a cheap place to dine. Brunch is on the high end, as are their evening meals, the chef prepared quality of the farm to table food preparation, is delicious to include the small details that they overlay to enhance your dining experience with the overall rustic charm and atmosphere is well worth making it an occasional meal out. They have a charming bar area and invent tasty drinks. I have seen many pass by and were I in my younger days and staying in a rental cabin and not driving, I would have been sorely tempted to give them a whirl. Each time I have been there, there has been a live music ensemble which totally enlivens and enhances the overall experience. This mid-morning there was a bluegrass group of three and they were very well gifted and talented and an added plus.
One of their songs ‘Wayfaring Stranger’, brought back memories of our dad, Byron, singing this somewhat somber song, every so often when we were growing up, it has always been one of my favorites, and made me realize that although we do not always see the plan for our lives, it was very evident that I was meant to be there in that place, at that time, and to share this experience with those in attendance. I was not gone for very long but my heart released it’s worries to the foothills and now I am back in my sanctuary at The Home Place ready to begin fall and October as we prepare for cooler days and comfort foods, and snuggle blankets. I have been following the ways of Mother Nature, like my furry friends the squirrels, storing up nuts and roots for winter, I have made, vegetable beef soup, chili, pot roast, and chicken soup, in the last few weeks, eating a bite and freezing the rest. They will be tasty come those long days of winter.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of
witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily
entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,”
Hebrews12:1
In remembrance of our dad Byron Trent:
I’m Just a Poor Wayfaring Stranger
I’m
just a poor wayfaring stranger,
I’m trav’ling through this world below;
There is no sickness, toil, nor danger,
In that bright world to which I go.
I’m going there to see my father,
I’m going there no more to roam;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.
I know dark clouds will gather
o’er me,
I know my pathway’s rough and steep;
But golden fields lie out before me,
Where weary eyes no more shall weep.
I’m going there to see my mother,
She said she’d meet me when I come;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.
I
want to sing salvations story,
In concert with the blood-washed band;
I want to wear a crown of glory,
When I get home to that good land.
I’m
going there to see my brothers,
They passed before me one by one;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.
I’ll soon be free from every
trial,
This form will rest beneath the sod;
I’ll drop the cross of self-denial,
And enter in my home with God.
I’m going there to see my
Saviour,
Who shed for me His precious blood;
I’m just a going over Jordan,
I’m just a going over home.








No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.