It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Wednesday, February 9, 2022

For Chris our first born, a gift for ever and always...Thank you LORD for sharing with us, and having faith in us to watch over this precious gift...

 

February 9, 2022

Dearest Son,

“God probably kept the dust he used in making you in the jar he loves most for a long time before making you. Happy birthday to you, our amazing son.

Today you are 51 years and counting, you are at the point in your life where you have all you need and want, we can no longer give you a gift to open and watch your eyes light up with delight and joy!

Your 1st Birthday, Norris Tennessee
Our favorite 'Son' at 50

“Time is short and it doesn't return again. It is slipping away while I write this and while you read it, and the monosyllable of the clock is Loss, Loss, Loss, unless you devote your heart to its opposition.” ~Tennessee Williams~


This short expose, is something I can give you, a gift from the heart, words  written down for your knowledge, so that you might have a glimpse into me as a young long legged gawky girl of 17, that had no idea what her future would hold, but somehow through God’s amazing grace , guidance, and love, was allowed to have a wonderful, full and bountiful life, filled with love overflowing, parents that loved me unconditionally, three younger brothers, that have become my lifeline into the past and the future, that have flourished and done well, a life mate, made just for me, that showed his abiding love all of 41 years we were together, blessed with two loving, kind, caring, creatively gifted children, a son and a daughter, who then presented us with two life mates of their own, that then followed, two grandsons, and two granddaughters. Life is a constant and changing colorful, kaleidoscope, filled with highs and lows, that flows in a circle of interwoven mysteries that are only revealed when it is time for us to know. the answers to our curiosities. I have previously written in other musings about your beginnings and I feel comfortable that you know how very much your arrival, the gift of 'YOU' meant to us, and that has never changed, you have been and always will be the beautiful, dark haired, coal black eyed, gift from God that was shared with us on a cold snowy day in February, in Clarksville, Tennessee, we thank our LORD for blessing us with you! You have been our delight...

Your first home, Clarksville Tennessee

As I sat down to write this, I had turned on Pandora and lo and behold one of my favorite classical tunes Clair de Lune by Claude Debussy began playing; bringing to light, that there are so many things Chris, even after 51 years of having us as your earthly parents and care givers, that you do not know about me and your dad. We as human beings are not the best sharers of information and so many small integral factors of who, what and why we are, are forever lost when we make our way to the next plain in this massive universe to which we were born.

When I was a senior in high school, I was given the opportunity to take a classical musical appreciation class as an elective that was offered through the local library in Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was a heavenly gift, designed, it seemed to me, especially for me. To get the opportunity to listen to, to become immersed in, and to somewhat understand how the music was created by some divinely talented and gifted artist of the previous century’s was a blessing and a gift. The other part was that it was at the large city library that I would walk to from the high school to participate in the class. I was in awe of this beautiful library with its lovely circular staircases and rows upon rows of books, of quiet solitude. I loved books and the interplay of words upon the pages that allowed me to step outside of myself as it imparted wisdom, knowledge and descriptions of people, places, and things I had yet to meet, that you could visit all within your imagination, and because of that, I had a hidden desire and a life goal to one day to work in a library like this one as a librarian.

Linda Johnson, 1967 before she was a Lane
I Baby sat a family of 7 children everyday during the summer of my Junior year,
so I could earn enough money to personally go shopping in downtown Cheyenne, Wyoming and purchase my school outfits for my Senior year. Those were the days when you dressed up for school, 1966
A  boyfriend of mine snapped this picture of me and my Dad at Frontier Days,
and sent it to me in a funny card 1965

I am not sure why I have had and still do have an affinity for libraries. Perhaps it was because growing up we were moving from place to place and libraries always felt like home, the buildings were different but what they contained, the wonderful allure of row upon row of books was a sanctuary, a safe zone, a comforting place of normalcy regardless of where it was located.

Enough about me. Today is your day, as you know I feel like God gives each of us a personal day when we are celebrated, it is our day. It is the day when God and all his ministering angels gather around the piano or the guitar and sing Hallelujah. So, today, as your Mom, the one who had the privilege of knowing you and carrying you within me, for almost nine months in your own personal sanctuary, I am saying your given name Christopher Todd Lane, and I am shouting and praising and thanking God for the gift of the one and only YOU. Happy 51st dearest one. Our hearts, and our unconditional love are with you today and always.

Mom, here at home…

Your Dad, I am of a certainty is soaring with the wind wherever you are, as his spirit is your constant and abiding ministering angel, watching over and protecting our favorite son

Your Dad was so very tender with his new born son, he loved you so...

Such a silly picture of 1971 when big hair was the rage and your God Mother Cheryl Kling, was a hair dresser and she lived right next door, so she said let's get you gussied up, so we did and this was the result...

This picture has always touched my heart...

Oh Minnie you did cast a spell on him, and he has never ever been the same ...

Your Dad and his guitar and his most treasured son.

The three of us in Norris, oh so long ago...
Norris, your Dad in his TVA Public Safety Uniform
and you wearing his hat
Chris, old paint, and Tuffy your shaggy Dog,
given to you by Uncle Butch
Three generations of Lane's
Your Dad, Your Papa Shad, and you,
the first born son and grandson
Always so happy and smiling,
that has not changed. Norris, a quilt made for you
by Great Aunt Mary Wallace Splittgerber
California, Granny Lane and her much loved grandson
Norris Dam, Your Christening Day in the Methodist Church
Uncle Jim, Uncle Andy, Papa Johnson, Granny Johnson
Uncle Butch, and his nephew

Mom and her dearest son,
such a wonderful picture taken by your Dad's artistic eye.

Before you were born, I had a premonition and a visualization
of this photo that came to pass, I always felt like God was showing me what was to come.

Mom and her dearest son 2021


Son and Dad, 2009, there was so many more adventures to be had but that was not in God's plan, so you carry on and live life to the fullest and rejoice in the time you had together, and share the stories of the way it was...and it was...



No comments:

Post a Comment

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.