“True friends are not the ones who spend time when they are free. They are the ones who take time from their busy schedule to be with you doing nothing.”
| Lynda Lawson Van Dyke ~ Sue Bailey Cole March 2022 |
![]() |
| Sue and Linda just a posing 1968 |
| Lynda and Linda 2022 |
This past week was enlightening in many ways, but the most refreshing
and delightful aspect was that we were able to return, to those days of the
past when we were just ourselves allowing us to be open and honest when we
spoke and shared with one another, making it comfortable to know we had each
other’s best interest at heart when we advised, and talked about our life
situations now. It was a therapy session that opened up the doors of freedom of
expression, it was so cleansing for me personally, but I can not speak for
Lynda and Sue.
The agenda for their coming was unplanned on my part. I at one time
would have felt driven to provide too much, overdue the area highlights, and to
wear my guests and myself out. That did not happen, I have found at my stage of
life, I do better to let the moment and circumstances direct your path, be it a
win or a loss in the outcome. I felt comfortable to just be who I am now, and
leave my friends to do the same, it was refreshing, relaxing and easier on
the energy level now available to us as women in their 70's.
Sue and Lynda are married, they travel often and have traveled extensively all over the world,
they have full active lives, filled with families and friends in abundance,
their life situation is different then mine, they were patient and generous and allowed
me to show them some but not all of the offerings in East Tennessee, leaving
room for them to return if they would like with their spouses and they can discover
the east Tennessee Hills and its offerings, for as long and as much as they want
at a later date.
Sue arrived on Sunday, and Lynda arrived on Monday. I had prepared a Chicken Casserole, and some fixings, and an Impossible Coconut Pie to ease our sweet tooth and all went well. We took our time reacquainting ourselves, unwinding and catching up on the past 50 years apart. We talked non stop.
On Tuesday we went to The Gathering Place at Shandi's for brunch and had a warm welcome and a tasty breakfast, before we headed to Norris, Clinton for browsing the antique's shops, home, and Litton's
Wednesday we talked, pedicured and went to Big Ed's.
Thursday, we went back to Clinton as Lynda likes to say to Putz around. While they were putzing, I was sitting on one of the outdoor benches when a lady came down the sidewalk and stopped to talk, she said she was just looking around and had recently moved there from Southern California with her family, we talked a bit, and I told her I lived close to where she lived, and said we should meet for lunch someday, she grabbed my hand, and said "I have been so alone since moving here and I have been praying for God to send me a friend." "You have answered my prayer." I truly believe that God does work this way, and that I was suppose to be sitting on that bench when she made her way down the sidewalk towards me and I was meant to carry on a conversation with her and reach out to her. We exchanged #'s and soon I will call her, find out more about her and introduce her to those she needs to meet to make her move to east Tennessee a blessing. Sometimes, you are meant to sit on a bench on an empty small town locale and wait for God to use you as he see's fit, that is called God's timing. Looking forward to spending some time getting acquainted with Christine Alonso sometime soon. Reminding me of this bible verse, “I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me.” Matthew 25: 31-40. Thank you LORD for sharing with me the gift of welcoming and hospitality.
Yesterday we had a full day of seeing the peaceful side of the Smoky Mountains, my favorite, to include one portion of the Foothills Parkway, Metcalf Bottoms, and Cade’s Cove, where we saw a wedding taking place out in the field as we were on the end of the eleven mile loop, ending with a quick late lunch at the new Blackhorse Brewery in Maryville, thanks for the suggestion, Chris Lane, before delivering them to the airport a tad late but in plenty of time. We do not have to deal with the big chaotic city airports that they are accustomed to, so even though it was a hustle getting through good ole Alcoa Highway we made it…whew! We gave our hurried hugs, love and kisses and off they went together to head for different states and homes. I was happy, thankful, and sad at their departure, but I was also ready to unwind, to think, and to cherish our time together.
Today I am running on empty as
I sit here typing this for my blog, I wanted to share this on this venue so
that it will denote a small gesture on my part of this most delightful and
special time together. We have made tentative plans to do it again in a year or
so, next time in Colorado, but as we all know life is never quite what you plan,
there is often a caveat that unbeknownst to you is thrown into the mix, but ‘That’s
Life’, so we will plan, prepare, and wait and see, knowing we for certain had
this time, at this place, and that is fine for now.
| Precious gift from the heart from two precious friends. |
![]() |
| Lynda and Sue waiting for a jet plane to take them back home Love you 'Gal friends' for ever and always. |
“So long as the memory of certain beloved friends lives in my heart,
I shall say that life is good.” -Helen Keller
“Nothing makes the earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a
distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.” -Henry David Thoreau
“If the only prayer you ever say in your entire life is thank you, it will be enough.”



.jpeg)

(1).jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.