Today we celebrate, reflect, and lift up you ~Sophia Rose~, as we think of your life thus far, and the joyful getting to know you, and your many dimensional, multifaceted characteristics that make you who you are, and the moments we have shared with you.
This day, 16 years ago, January 19th, a clear, cold, crisp January morning, you came rushing into the world, it was a day, I as your maternal grandmother will always remember and hold close to my heart. Your Big Daddy, and I were at home in Tennessee asleep in our bed when the phone rang at 4:30 am, your Mama said "we are at the hospital and the baby is coming!" So ya'll need to come now to Savannah, be careful, love you. click."
Needless to say we moved like the wind around Lane Home Place, got our stuff together and was on the road to Ashville and south by 5:15 am. We got as far as Strawberry Plains when your Big Daddy realized he had not put his C-Pap machine into the Honda, Element so we returned home for that vital health implement. Soon we were back on our way up and over the Blue Ridge Mountains just as the sun was coming up. It was a glorious sight to behold and one that took our breath away, reminding us that this land we live and breathe in is an amazing gift from our heavenly Father, we took a moment to pull over, clasp hands and thank God for showering us on this day, your Birth Day with this picture perfect moment.
We arrived at the hospital and was in the room where you were born at 10:30 am, missing your arrival into this world by about thirty minutes. Your Mama, Amy, your Daddy, Mark, and their friend Amanda Pommerenck were all present at your birth. Our eyes were drawn to the beautiful little girl child in her clear cubical, in her birthday suit, laying under the phototherapy Bili lights adjusting to the outside world. We were overwhelmed with joy to be present so very soon after your birth. Our first granddaughter, a precious gift, then and now! This is just a small memory of your beginning Sophia, but we were and are blessed to share these once in a lifetime moments with your parents, and we are grateful.
In your short 16 years you have been on the go, traveling, living in many homes in the USA, and foreign lands as well. Since your Dad was a West Point Graduate, and now a retired Army Veteran, your family was afforded many opportunities for travel. You were born and lived for your first 6 months in Savanah, Georgia, lived in Monterey, California, Santiago, Chile, where you and your family traveled extensively to many of the countries in South America, Lugoff, South Carolina, Alexandria, Virginia, Holland, Michigan, and Marietta, Georgia. That is why I named this written piece 16 years and counting, because you are just beginning your journey, I am excited to see where you are going next.
I have found a few pictures of you through the years, and a poem, that I will share. I wanted to document this writing on your sixteenth birthday in honor of you. Even though your Big Daddy was called home to heaven just before your 5th birthday, he adored and cherished you, and I know that he is a ministering angel in your life. Our love for you is without end Sophia.
I have had a pet name for you which has been Hello Dollie, but as you have gotten older and your creative artistic genes have come to the forefront, I have started thinking of you and calling you RED, it suits you and your intermittent temperament well. Happy sweet 16th Birthday Red!
Grandmother's Pearls
of Wisdom
I've traveled paths you've yet to walk
Learned lessons old and new
And now this wisdom of my life
I'm blessed to share with you
Let kindness spread like sunshine
Embrace those who are sad
Respect their dignity, give them joy
And leave them feeling glad
Forgive those who might hurt you
And though you have your pride
Listen closely to their viewpoint
Try to see the other side
Walk softly when you're angry
Try not to take offense
Invoke your sense of humor
Laughter's power is immense!
Express what you are feeling
Your beliefs you should uphold
Don't shy away from what is right
Be courageous and be bold
Keep hope right in your pocket
It will guide you day by day
Take it out when it is needed
When it's near, you'll find a way
Remember friends and family
Of which you are a precious part
Love deeply and love truly
Give freely from your heart
The world is far from perfect
There’s conflict and there’s strife
But you still can make a difference
By how you live your life
And so I’m very blessed to know
The wonders you will do
Because you are my granddaughter
And I believe in you
| The beautiful little girl child, from a land far, far away... |
| The blossoming young woman at 16 and counting, becoming who she is meant to be... |
"There is simply the rose; it is perfect in every moment of its existence"
You treat me like a rose / You give me room to grow / You shine the light of love on me / And give me air so I can breathe / You open doors I close / In a world where anything goes / You give me strength so I stand tall / Within this bed of earth / Just like a rose
"A thorn defends the rose, harming only those who would steal the blossom.”
No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.