It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Monday, August 15, 2011

~The Kindness of Strangers~

This past spring and summer has been full of challenges and emotionally charged moments wrought with indecision and the inability to handle what should have been a simple and uncomplicated move for Amy, Mark and their children. Mismanagement by many,and the resulting frustration, caused countless moments of stress and continued separation for all. When your children's lives are in disarray so is yours!  It is 'the nature of the beast'.  Being a parent  and obligated does not stop ever, at least that is the way we, and most of our friends feel.  It is just what you do....you love and love and then you love some more!

There are times when you are drawn into situations that perhaps you would prefer not to be in, but it usually works out for the best.  I have heard many people share conversation's in regards to their children and how they are closer to one child or the other.  Curt and I, never felt that way. We love them both equally as well as their spouses and our grandchildren too! There have been times when one or the other of our children, required more hands on at a certain time, and it may have seemed like they were getting more attention or love, but they needed it right then, while the other was doing fine for the moment.  If you think about it Our Father in Heaven guides us in our parenting by his loving example.  He is a wonderful teacher.

The title of this writing is ~The Kindness of Strangers~.  During the upheaval that has been my life this past spring and summer, I have been blessed by many,and  lifted up and carried when I was unable to handle it myself.  I have called on prayer warriors at Fountain City UMC,who are woman that care about others, as well as long time friends and family who have been there offering encouragement and prayers. Faith in God, Faith in yourself, faith in others can move mountains.  I and my family are living proof of that.

This story came to be, because of a woman named Agnes Young.  Around a month ago  I met Agnes, and my life will never be the same again.  
My angel unaware 'Agnes'

I have been needing to have a garage sale. I have procrastinated and offered up untold reasons not to have it. Since God had been so wise and kind to continue Amy and the girls extended sabbatical with me for the summer, we chose to go ahead and have it on probably  the hottest week of the summer.  We chose to do a half day on a Thursday and then be done with it!.  We opened up and had an amazing amount of folks and was able to get rid of a few things.  They found us because they were looking for someone else in Broadacres, who had advertised their sale on Craigs list.  Who knew!  Anyway we closed shop at 12:00P.M. on Thursday, but it was too hot to pack it all up!  Friday after going to Mugs and Muffins at FCUMC, Amy said let's try it again on Saturday.  This time I advertised on Craig's list, it is free you know.  We put out the signs Friday night and opened up on Saturday thinking all was good.  Later we found out the really important directional sign had been taken the night before.  Business was slow but we had a few lookers and bargainers.  I thought well Craig's list hasn't done much for this sale.  A man came over from Clinton and wanted the green fridge, which was one of the things I really wanted to be gone.  
Then these two ladies walked up the driveway "just looking" they said, but super friendly and chatty.  Lydia Mae entertained them with her two tooth grin, while Sophia talked them up!  They are two little charmers! One of the ladies was Agnes and the other was her neighbor Emily.  Agnes talked quick and shared a lot of info in a short amount of time.  Found out she was a widow for 15 years, a hairdresser in Claxton for a long time, and was originally living in Clinton, after they had moved down here from Kentucky, not far from where my Mom's family was from, and had worked at Ingles in Clinton for awhile too!  She recently lost her Mom and had taken care of her for many years.  She makes sour dough rolls, and cinnamon rolls weekly to sale, cuts hair in her home and cleans houses for folks, oh and she restores old furniture and does caning in her off moments.  She attends the Presbyterian Church on Beaver Creek and lives in Broadacres in a house that I pass daily when I go out by Stamps Lane.  I have always admired her house, because it is neat, as well as eye appealing to me.  

I decided I would buy some cinnamon rolls from her that Saturday afternoon, for Sunday morning before church, and made an appointment for Monday to get my hair trimmed,  I was past due for a trim.

On Sunday we ate her delicious rolls, left for church where I proceeded to step on a rock, fall down the hill, tried to brake my fall with my wrists, palms and elbow, twisted my foot and broke my ankle, all within 15 minutes after leaving home.  I was embarrassed, in pain, and bleeding. but I wanted to carry on because Barbara, Hunter and two of his friends, Amy and the girls had all come to attend church with me.  It was to be a grand day indeed!

After sitting in church for an hour I had a hard time standing let alone walking.  I knew I had really messed myself up, but I didn't want to worry the kids.  Amy got the car we went home. I iced my foot and went to bed.  When I woke up Chris had called and my two loving and caring children made the decision that I was to go to the ER. I really dislike hospitals, and waiting and waiting and waiting.  I have spent too many painful hours watching my family suffer and linger, to ever feel comfortable there again.  

Four hours later I found out I had a broken right ankle.  I was released with a temp cast and a walker, ugg is all I can say, which was hard to use because I had really messed up my wrist and palms.  Was ordered to see the Orthopedic Dr. soon, which was arranged by my daughter for Monday morning.  Thankfully Barbara offered to watch the girls, and off we went.  Three hours later I was graced with the Dr's presence for 5 minutes and was told I had indeed broken my ankle in a most unusual way.  I was ordered into a high removable boot, for bathing and  to return on Aug 22 for a new x-ray.  That is that.  I am recovering, and I feel better now, after a much needed rest. I am feeling more like myself every day that goes by and some of my energy is returning.  I hope to drive to DC on August 23rd to spend Amy's birthday on the 25th, and Lydia's birthday on Sept 3rd.  Then home I will come and Fall and all that entails will be waiting for me.  Football, Monday morning Bible Study, Sorority and maybe even some volunteer work may be in my future, as well as a little jaunt with cousin Jeanie to middle Tennessee to do some fishing at Fall Creek Falls.  Dear Brother Jim had offered up a trip to Tallahassee to attend an O U game on the same week-end, but alas he will have to walk to the top of the stadium without me this year...boo hoo!  I will say it would have been fun, especially since he would of had to carry me ......ha ha!

Back to Agnes.  When Amy called to relay the news that I wouldn't be able to come for my haircut, because of my ankle, I found out what a special person the Lord had sent to my garage sale that Saturday morning.  That energetic lady jumped into action.  When we got home she had called and had offered to take me to the Doctor, since Amy had the children.  Then she called later on that day to see what the Dr. had decided.  She called to say she would come to our house, when I was up to it, cut my hair, trim Sophia's hair and Lydia's too!  Then she showed up with cinnamon rolls.  She calls several times a week to check on me and to offer her friendship, comfort and help.  She says she understands the utter aloneness that I must be feeling after loosing my husband.  She has asked me to come over just to pass the time.  Today she called to check in and to ask if she could bring by some dessert.  This lady truly has been a blessing to me. She once was an unknown stranger, but now I feel lucky to count her as a kind and caring friend.

The interesting thing about this story is that after the sale we found out that someone had taken the directional signs down the night before.  So those that found us were by divine guidance.  As most of you know that are reading this, the Lane house is in the middle of a maze of streets, you have to want to get here if you want to arrive, because it is not anywhere near the main road.  Somehow Agnes and her friend Emily, were directed to my house that day and I will always be eternally grateful for being the recipient of that divine intervention!                                        

I hope all of you who read this have a good day and that this story will encourage you to offer up a kindness, not just to folks you know, but to a stranger, who perhaps needs a little kindness and consideration directed their way.  God Bless. LSJL


Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares. Hebrews 13:2 KJV

I expect to pass through this world but once; any good thing therefore that I can do, or any kindness that I can show to any fellow creature, let me do it now; let me not defer or neglect it, for I shall not pass this way again.  
Ettiene De Grellet

3 comments:

  1. Thank you again for sharing some of your inner-most thoughts and struggles that many widows share. You are such an inspiration to me...and I'm sure to many others. I am praying that your ankle heals quickly and with no residual side effects. I love you, Linda.

    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read your blog. God gave you a very special gift for being able to put your thoughts out there for others to read, feel, and learn. Glad to hear you're still going to be able to go on our adventure in September. I'm soooo looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was glad to read your letter below. I stopped everything I was doing at school)to read it Thanks for sending it my way.



    Am also glad to hear you are feeling better. Hopefully you will be walking better soon.
    Love Nancy

    ReplyDelete

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.