It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Sunday, April 3, 2011

A Journey to Clinton..........

The road to Clinton, Tennessee


'If you haven't been to Hammers'...you haven't been to Clinton
Need I say more?
The Ritz Theater and Hoskins Drug Store
 new eatery to me.... on Main Street 'Sweet Cafe'
Dogwood on the mall


Redbud up close
 Johnny Jump Ups
Curt's pink Tulips and friend
Dogwood
My Lilac Bush that Curt ordered special just for me in full bloom
Beautiful Japanese Maple in all its small petite glory

Tulips in full bloom foretelling the arrival of the Dogwoods
Candytuft
Pink Camellias that got bit by the frost
Big Daddy's Windmill
Tiny purple Violets

Grape Hyacinth
looking towards Heaven through the old man in the tree Chinese Elm
Mom & Dad spring 2011
'The love of parents is everlasting'
Yesterday I journeyed over to Clinton. I went to visit my parents resting place and place a spring bouquet in the vase provided for that purpose. I haven't been in awhile. It seems to be harder and harder to return to Clinton.  Although I wasn't raised in Clinton, there are many family ties and memories attached to it for me. 

As always when I go, there a few places that I visit after I visit my folks up on the hill overlooking the Clinch river.  My Dad, who was a great one to tease, always said "he picked that spot,not only because of the view, but because it would be convenient after Mom would pay him a visit, then she could go to Hammer's to prowl around, Big Lot's to see what's new, and then to Hoskin's Drug Store soda fountain for a cheesebuger, fries and a shake".  My Dad was a very smart man, about many things, as well as being sly like a fox, that many didn't give him credit for. So I follow his plan and do what he thought would happen for my Mom.  As I said before 'the view on the hill gives you a place to meditate and contemplate', if your up for it.  This is pretty much Clinton in a nutshell.  

My Dad was raised in Clinton. Hoskin's Drug Store's Beauty Shop, is where he met my Mom, through her sister Melva,who was a beautician, and my Dad's brother Carl Lee, who frequented the beauty shop to get his hair done and to talk.  So Hoskin's is brimming with family memories.  

In the spring of the year, I usually go up to Park Avenue to drive past my Grandma Corrina Mae Wallace Johnson's house.  She was a wonderful cook, and made the best cornbread in the area, as well as being able to throw together a meal from little scraps of leftovers that was a feast fit for a King.  She planted flowers and made them grow into such a wonderful array of  nature's beauty.  Her yard was such a lovely display, with many varieties of plants and bulbs. For so many years after she passed away the evidence of her gift with flowers remained in her yard. The rock wall in front of her house was the home of the most vibrant creeping phlox that ran the length of the wall in multiple colors.  It was a pleasure for all who saw it.  Unfortunately neglect and time has finally made this treat for the eyes no more. I was overwhelmed with sadness at this loss.  

I then drove over to Spring Street and through Pop Holler and up to Nancy Drive, my parents home for many years. The absolute destruction of all that once was is really a crying shame. The yard,the trees and flowers are no more, the house is sad indeed.  The neighborhood has gone to ruin.

After this journey my heart was heavy with the loss of all that was and will never be again.  It brought to mind those words 'You can't go home again'. I carry my memories on my heart and in my mind and I am thankful for them.

Happy Birthday Dad, April 30, 1926, I would have liked to know you at 85.  I am of a certainty that your knowledge about the world and it's in and outs, would have continued to increase.  I miss your ability to absorb and to discuss worldly matters, as well as your gentleness, kindness, and your tender teasing and hugs.  Always my love for you, your Sissy Boo.

The pleasure of Spring is all around and I am grateful for it's beauty.  It helps to put life into perspective brings hope for tomorrow.  LSJL

All Is Well
Death is nothing at all,
I have only slipped into the next room
I am I and you are you
Whatever we were to each other, that we are still.
Call me by my old familiar name,
Speak to me in the easy way which you always used
Put no difference in your tone,
Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow
Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes we enjoyed together.
Play, smile, think of me, pray for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was,
Let it be spoken without effect, without the trace of shadow on it.
Life means all that it ever meant.
It it the same as it ever was, there is unbroken continuity.
Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight?
I am waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near,
Just around the corner.
All is well.
Henry Scott Holland
1847-1918

Canon of St Paul 's Cathedral





















1 comment:

  1. I love this. You just gave me a wonderful trip to Clinton. I love you!
    XOXOXO
    RSW

    ReplyDelete

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.