It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Friday, September 23, 2022

Words from within, about the week that was!

"Every day is a renewal, every morning a daily miracle. This joy you feel is life." ~Gertrude Stein


This week began with hope while looking forward with expectancy. Although as I have found, life and plans are not always in sync, thus, sometimes our personal plans go awry, but perhaps they were never meant to be, because there were other plans in the works. Communication is vital to make plans work, but more and more of us are missing the link of how to communicate in person and that is a lose-lose for all.

Lots of people in and out of my life this week,
Lots of stimulation, interesting conversations, and diversity. This week brought to light that I have been missing in action for several months this summer. Although I have not been gone per say, I have been on a sabbatical not necessarily of my own making. This week has been full, probably too much, but thankful that my energy level is gradually returning.

When you go to your familiar places, and are greeted with smiles, hugs, and joyful laughter, it refreshes and renews your zest for living. One such instance was at one of my favorite places and the chef opened the door, came out greeted me and delightfully sat me at my favorite table in the corner, with the words “we sure have missed you.”…

I got to spend time with my ‘hand and foot gals’ and it was an afternoon spent in delightful glee as we tried to outwit, outplay, and outlast, the other team. Just like the show ‘Survivor’, but we get to eat tasty desserts and snacks! It was fun to get together once again. We are like the squirrels we are now gathering our bits and pieces as we prepare to snuggle in for the colder days ahead.


Lunch at Shandi’s, with Teresa and Shannon was a nonstop catch-up session, when we are together it is chatter, chatter, chatter. One piece of info that was heartbreaking news, was this, I will ask here for prayer for Ben Steele, Shannon’s stepson, a punter for The Citadel, who was diagnosed with cancer, t-cell lymphoblastic lymphoma. He is undergoing treatment at Duke University Hospital in North Carolina, close to where he is from. I was amazed to learn, after intense chemo treatments, that he is still supporting his teammates at The Citadel by being on the sidelines as often as possible. Please lift this brave and courageous young man up, as he undergoes the treatments to fight this life-threatening disease. The power of prayer can bring about God given results, I have seen that so many times in my own life circumstances.


I had the pleasure of spending Wednesday morning with Uncle Ronnie and got to also visit with some of the other Veterans that live at Ben Atchley. Their only request was to be brought outdoors to sit and enjoy the sunshine, not much to ask for men who served their country. The years of being locked in and locked down during the Pandemic is evident in the price that they as residents of such a facility had to pay. Uncle Ronnie is a man of self-taught, and hard-knocks knowledge and it makes for interesting conversation as small, long-forgotten tidbits come up, that he sometimes chooses to share with me. I am blessed every time I get to meet with him. Because of this visit I contacted our cousin Greg, about a upcoming visit with Uncle Ronnie and was able to talk with Aunt Dot in the process, what a treat that was. I treasure our older relatives and the valuable stories that they are able to share.



Spent some time Thursday with my friend Susan and got to take in her temporary living arrangements, it will do for now, as her family makes it more home like with photo’s and such, as she continues to heal and re-cooperate. My heart feels gladdened at seeing her returning to herself, and a little bit feisty to boot! Her daughter Manda was spending the day with her Mama, she brought her work from her home office with her so she could spend time in her Mam’s presence, Susan was well pleased to have her spend time with her. As I looked at Susan and her daughter so close together it was like looking at a picture of Susan when she was younger, enhancing and bringing, the visual bond and the time-honored relationship of mother and daughter to the forefront. Susan has been blessed with two sons, a daughter, four granddaughters, and two grandsons, a SiL and two, DiL’s. Knowing this is encouraging her to recover with the hopes to return to her home sometime in the future. I know many of you have been praying for her, please continue to do so.

Happy news in the form of a text and sweet pictures from friend Jennifer on the blessed arrival of her second great granddaughter, she now has two great granddaughters, that will form a fragrant precious bouquet, with two middle name, Rose’s to love and adore, so Baby Mac now is present and accounted for. Pink is now taking over for the dominant Purple, Orange and White of Clemson that has been the mainstay for quite a few years. Michelle, so happy for you and Mike on being grandparents X2 and Eric and Kaki welcome to the parent club.

As I was heading home this afternoon, I found my car pulling into McDonalds on Emory, my mom, Muriel Rose, had a fondness for their ice cream cones, so I will say this was her spiritual reckoning and doing. I ordered my cone, paid, and went to the drive-up window where a smiling cherub of a young man with Downs Syndrome greeted me with these words, as he handed me the cone out the window, “This is the most perfect ice-cream cone you will ever get.” I said laughingly “You are right, it is perfect, as are you! Thank you for making the end of this Friday, just right!”




Perhaps this is too much information but sometimes the heart just needs to express itself through my fingers. 

"Hope is not pretending that troubles don't exist. It is the trust that they will not last forever, that hurts will be healed and difficulties overcome. It is faith that a source of strength and renewal lies within to lead us through the dark into the sunshine." -- Liz Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.