It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Thursday, March 1, 2018

Becoming Ms. Linda


When did it happen?

For several years now I have noticed that quite frequently when people speak to me they tend to call me Ms. Linda. At first, I thought it was a nice way to refer to me, a coincidence of sorts. As of late I have come to realize it has become the norm. The why's and wherefores are the mystery.

Living in the south it is not uncommon for respect to be given to your elders when referring to them as Mr., Mrs., Miss and their surname. I am one of those people who think that manners, please and thank you's if you please, yes, mam's and yes sirs exudes respectfulness and as such should be taught from a very early age at home. The world we are living in today could use a 'Southern Mama’ at the helm teaching, preaching and instilling respect for one another in all the phases of life, from newborns, to old age. I believe we need those teachings and respect for humanity, as I go about my daily in and outs within my community I have noticed that we are lacking in regard for our fella man or woman.

The constant need for shortcuts, for a quicker way to begin and end conversations towards one another, the almost lackadaisical way we communicate with one another is beginning to show more and more as the removal of human communications as we have known it goes quickly by the way side. To me this is troubling in so many ways. We have allowed technology to overtake our communication system. As we have become more dependent on the use of technology and its services, we have lost a very important gift. The gift of using our instrument, our lovely charismatic, enticing voice.

The use of our five senses is a gift. When we speak, when we listen, and hear another's voice it sets off a chain reaction within us that sends responders throughout our Godly made body, a true and heavenly gift. I am a person that uses the senses given to me.  The constant use of them are what keeps me up and going. I hope you can see when we choose to communicate non-verbally we lose the use of our most powerful gifts of our senses. We gradually are allowing technology to rob us of our gifts of the spirit. These gifts are how we respond to one another from infancy to the last moments before we complete our earthly time.

Back to becoming Ms. Linda, I like it. It means to me that I have arrived. I have paid my dues, and I am deserving. I have earned my thinning silver hair, my ears that are not as reliable as they once were, my eyes that strain to read the words, my hands and arms that no longer carry the strength and muscles of my youth. All of these gifts remind me that I am alive and still willing to listen, touch, feel, smell, and see this wonderful world. Perhaps my world has gotten smaller but through others experiences, their voices with its nuances and inflections, I can use their experiences to highlight my day to day moments. We need the constant contact of other human beings. Technology has robbed us of that. A text while quick and easy does not allow me to hear a beloved's voice or their inflection, for me it is without heart. One of my most favorite books for children is the Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams because it tells the story of becoming real.

 

It is my belief that on my way to becoming Ms. Linda... I too have become real! What a privilege 


Everywhere I go, whether it is at the Dr.'s office, or a restaurant where I am known, or in my neighborhood where there are still 'Southern Gentlemen' like Wayne Crawley, who was raised by his Mama, Ms. Betty, in the small town of Plains, Georgia, she instilled in her son admirable respectful characteristic qualities of a gentle nature that he quietly delivers in a kind and honest way. From our first meeting he has always referred to me as Ms. Linda, as has Larry Southern, these men and their kind gestures, make you feel special, appreciated, and respected. These two  men's gentlemanly manners has made a lasting impression on me. When I get my car serviced, they say when it is ready to go “Ms. Linda your car is ready.”  As I have said earlier I do not know when it became more prevalent, but I now am known as Ms. Linda and that for me is a good thing!

It ranks right up there with grateful acknowledgement for a gift, whether it is small or large through a hand written thank you note, something you can hold touch, refer to and look at seeing the person's handwriting, it is a gift an act of kindness, and time spent giving back. What we tried to impart to our children while trying to explain the importance of a written note is that if someone has taken the time and the care to honor you with a token then you need to respond quickly and joyfully with a few written words of thanks. Perhaps some People do not notice the lack of a response, but they do remember when you do respond and they hold that knowledge close. I have very few handwritten keepsakes, from my family who are no longer here, but they are my treasures. They are the most  special treasures of my life, and when I see them and hold them again after a long while it makes me value them all the more as I stop and hold and touch and smell and remember and yes sometimes weep, not with sorrow for those who have crossed over, but for myself and the memories of days gone by that will never ever come again.

Becoming Ms. Linda has become a rite of passage, I am now the Matriarch of our family...I was chosen by my birth order, it was pre-ordained and was done without my knowledge by God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. So I will continue to walk forward on this journey that has been chosen for me and I will be thankful, and grateful as I carry on as Ms. Linda.

While reading you may have noticed I have not shared any pictures with this writing, other then the Velveteen Rabbit quote...If you have gotten this far then I say thank you for reading and God Bless you for taking the time and the interest to read these words. I will never know unless you comment so Peace be with you on this 1st day of March, 2018.


 

 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 





No comments:

Post a Comment

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.