| Wreath Tribute, Poppy's, Daisy's, Flag |
| God Bless This Home, This Town, This Nation |
| ~American Flag~ Memorial Day 2011 |
| Brother Jim, Remembering and Reflecting in October 2011 |
| Byron Trent Johnson~Muriel Rose Engle Johnson |
| Curtis Andrew Lane (Big Daddy) |
| 1/15/47-1/23/10 Always in my Heart~ I will treasure your Memory My Love~ |
This time last year I began putting words in print as I tried to climb out of the deep chasm that I found myself in. As I look back on those words, it makes me reflect on where I have been and where I am going. I know I am still looking for something that I haven't found yet. I have a deep yearning to belong, to be a part of, to feel needed and secure. I do not know if this is possible. I truly believe that if you have been blessed to have extreme happiness, satisfaction and unconditional love then perhaps you have had your lifetime share and the rest of your life should be enough.
I do know that I have now become an observer. I have always been interested in the world around me but now I almost feel like I can watch but I am not seen. There have been many stories written about situations where people were so involved in their own lives that they are unaware of their surroundings and the people that are around them. For some crazy reason when you personally loose someone dear to you it is as if an invisible cloak has been thrown around your body and you are gone too. In my observations it seems to be easier for those that have been close to you to back away. Perhaps it is because the loss is too painful and being around their loved one brings back too many memories. The way it is handled by many is almost none or not any association at all.
Decoration Day (Memorial Day) is a day for remembering all of the service men and women who have loss their lives serving their country. It is a day when we pay tribute to them who gave all that they had to give. I have personally known many soldiers, some did not make it back. I mourn for their loss today,and for their families loss. This is a solemn day. May 30th was set apart back in 1868, as a day for remembering our dead, for going to the countless cemetery's and decorating the thousand of tombstones where our fallen lay encased in their shrouds. The National Mall in Washington, D.C. is our Nation's memory bank. It is where we can see the years upon years where we have lain our fallen soldiers after all of our wars. Their lives counted for something. We are of the now generation, but we need to remember that that there would not be a now generation if wasn't for those who willing gave their all.
We have turned this once day for solemness into a long week-end party. Many people really do not know what Memorial Day represents. Of all of the three day week-ends that we as American's participate in I really wish we left this one day as it was meant to be. There was a law in congress in 1998 that was proposed to return it to it's original day, unfortunately like most important issues before congress it was shelved. I have driven around my neighborhood today and I am sad to say there are not house, after house with their flags waving in tribute. So today people I am sad, so darn sad, As I said earlier in this piece I am more aware then ever that we as American's have placed an invisible cloak around Decoration Day in hopes that it will not interfere with our frivolity and gaiety as we celebrate our long week-end.
In closing I ask that you take a moment out of your holiday to remember, to reflect, to honor, and to decorate in remembrance at a place where soldiers, or family members lay. Also take time to share the purpose of Memorial Day with your family. Tell them about Flanders's fields and the red poppies worn to honor those serving their country. Make it a family tradition to hold this day in high esteem, with solemnness, so that the purpose of this day is not loss through the generations.
How to Observe Memorial Day
How To Observe Memorial Day
"We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security, is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or the coming generations, that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided Republic. If other eyes grow dull, and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remains to us."
---General John Logan, General Order No. 11, May 5, 1868
The "Memorial" in Memorial Day has been ignored by too many of us who are beneficiaries of those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and liberty. Often we do not observe the day as it should be, a day where we actively remember those Americans including our ancestors, family members, loved ones neighbors and friends who have paid the price for the blessings of liberty. You can change this by doing the following:
Also, please consider adding your voice in support of the efforts to restore the traditional day of observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th (instead of "the last Monday in May").Go to www.usmemorialday.org/act.html to add your voice. This would help greatly to return the solemn meaning back to the day, and help return minds and hearts to think upon the ultimate sacrifices made by those in service to our country. Just one special day out of the year to honor our loved ones, our ancestors, our friends who died defending our freedom and liberty
"We should guard their graves with sacred vigilance. All that the consecrated wealth and taste of the nation can add to their adornment and security, is but a fitting tribute to the memory of her slain defenders. Let pleasant paths invite the coming and going of reverent visitors and fond mourners. Let no vandalism of avarice or neglect, no ravages of time testify to the present or the coming generations, that we have forgotten as a people the cost of a free and undivided Republic. If other eyes grow dull, and other hands slack, and other hearts cold in the solemn trust, ours shall keep it well as long as the light and warmth of life remains to us."
---General John Logan, General Order No. 11, May 5, 1868
The "Memorial" in Memorial Day has been ignored by too many of us who are beneficiaries of those who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and liberty. Often we do not observe the day as it should be, a day where we actively remember those Americans including our ancestors, family members, loved ones neighbors and friends who have paid the price for the blessings of liberty. You can change this by doing the following:
- By wearing your Memorial Day Button from the first of May until Memorial Day.
- By visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of our fallen heroes.
- By flying the U.S. Flag at half-staff until noon. Memorial Day is a day of "National Mourning."
- By attending religious services of your choice.
- By visiting memorials.
- By participating in a "National Moment of Remembrance" at 3:00 PM local time, to pause and think upon the meaning of the day and for taps to be played where possible.
- By renewing a pledge to aid the widows, and orphans of our fallen dead, and to aid the disabled veterans.
Also, please consider adding your voice in support of the efforts to restore the traditional day of observance of Memorial Day back to May 30th (instead of "the last Monday in May").Go to www.usmemorialday.org/act.html to add your voice. This would help greatly to return the solemn meaning back to the day, and help return minds and hearts to think upon the ultimate sacrifices made by those in service to our country. Just one special day out of the year to honor our loved ones, our ancestors, our friends who died defending our freedom and liberty
No comments:
Post a Comment
'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.