It's Okay

“She understands now what she, in all her worry, had forgotten.
That even as she hesitates and wavers,
even as she thinks too much
and moves too cautiously,
she doesn't always have to get it right.
It's okay to look back, even as you move forward.”
― Jennifer E. Smith, The Comeback Season





Wednesday, February 9, 2011

The Feeling Of Comfort~ for Instance~ Like my Blue Housecoat~

"Being comfortable in your own skin and content with your own company is a magical gift to yourself and everyone in your life". Patricia Alexander, Book of Comfort

 Have you ever thought about comfort?  What does the word comfort actually mean?  Here is one definition ~Satisfaction or physical well-being provided by a person or thing~

As I struggled through this past year of my life I have had to come to terms with many things that I had never really thought of before.  What I have found is that when you are yoked to someone for 40 plus years you are sort of like an appendage, meaning you are so closely knit that even your thoughts and ideas are mingled and muddled together.  This to me was not something that was displeasing to me, the fact is, it just was.  There are many areas that that I have had to define as I trod on alone but one of the ones that have been rather difficult is the area of Comfort.

There have been so many ways that I have been comforted by others during this time of sorrowfulness.  Each person that has offered up a kindness I am so grateful for them and to them, words really can not express how many times a kindness has been given right at the moment when it was needed so desperately.  I will relate a few here while I am writing on this subject but believe me there are many, many , many that count just as much.

Comfort comes in so many different ways. These came very soon during and after Curt's passing.  Two of these I will attribute to Curt.

Curt and I were in the small cramped  room in the E R waiting for something to be done to help his medical situation.  Curt was suffering, and in pain and I believe now that he knew his time was almost finished.  He was very upset and out of sorts and tired of all the questions and prodding.  He was upset with me too, just because I was there and he needed to express his feelings.  During this time Curt asked "That the Lord take him to be with him".  The good Lord in heaven does hear our prayers and he answers them when it is time.  I had stood and offered Curt my hand, at first he didn't respond, but then he opened his hand drew my hand into his offering me comfort as he had so many times before.  He had amazing wonderful hands that offered up so many talents to others in his life.  Those moments of comforting one another I will carry with me always.  Soon after that Curt's earthly presence was on a different plain.  When they came and told me to go up to the ICU I knew that I was going to 'The Waiting Room' and what the final outcome would be.  Within the first moments after I had arrived at the ICU, a lady that was there for her loved one, approached me read my extreme sadness in my eyes and wrapped her loving arms around me and held me, comforting me until a hospital Minister and Chris arrived.  She was an earthly angel preparing me for what was to come 'in the waiting room'.

Psalm 23:1-4
The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.He makes me to lie down in green pastures;He leads me beside the still waters.He restores my soul;He leads me in the paths of righteousness For His name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil;For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.


Palm Holding Cross made for Linda by Curt aka Big Daddy Lane 2009
As the day became night and the waiting was complete we headed to Chris and Barbara's home to comfort each other and to restore our energy for the days ahead.  We all went to our beds and to our own thoughts.  I did fall into asleep phase. Sometime in the early morning hours I woke up feeling so very cold.  As I lay there in a strange bed, in borrowed pajamas, I felt totally empty and alone.  I reached for my palm holding cross that Curt had made me out of purple heart wood.  It is a great source of comfort.  Suddenly I was surrounded by this aura, it encompassed my entire body and it gently filled me with a great warmth and a total sense of peace and comfort.  I believe it was Curt's spirit showering me with love, warmth and comfort as he made his way towards the light and God's waiting arms.  I always have my palm cross with me.  When I need reassurance and comfort I hold it and it exudes great warmth, love and peace.  It has enabled me to find the strength to continue on with my life while looking for my new purpose.

I have thought about the many ways I have been comforted throughout my life and the ways that I offer comfort to others.  I will mentioned a few that I thought of.  I know there will be many other ones that you have experienced so please share them in the comments section.  I truly believe that if we could unlock the ways of comfort, this world would be nearer to discovering paradise.

Most of us have a few items of clothing that we put on when we are planning on staying around the house, because we want to be comfortable.  I have several items that I feel that way about. The one item that brings me the most comfort is my blue housecoat.  I have had it for a very long time.  It is an aqua blue, it is light weight, it is soft, it is relativly long, but somewhat short because of my height.  It offers me warmth, comfort, and security, while serving as a way to cover my body when I am up and about.  It has been used many times as an extra blanket when I have a chill in the night. I value it's ability to continue to offer me unconditional love as it wraps it's arms around me day in and day out.  I have been given many replacements but none have the appeal to my senses like my blue housecoat.  I am grateful for the comfort, and the countless memories that lay within its folds.  It is so much of who I was, and who I am.  When I see it, I see the love's of a lifetime shared with my parents, my brothers, their families,as well as friends and neighbors and all my sweet ones, Curt, Chris,Amy, Barbara, Mark, Hunter, Oliver, Sophia, and Lydia Mae.  It has touched them all and therefore will always be a part of me and who I was.  Perhaps someday when I no longer need it for comfort  it can be cut up and pieced into a quilt along with Curt's overalls and other treasures of this life.  That way it will still offer warmth and comfort as well as a way to share the stories of those that once relished the comfort that they provided.

When I was living with my parents one of the ways that made not only me but my brothers feel comfort was when our Dad or Mom would fix us hot tea, toast and soft boiled eggs.  I also did that for my kids, mostly when they were feeling poorly.  Another comforting thing was in the winter when it was cold and dreary our Mom would make a pancake breakfast for dinner.  It was just the best feeling as well as fulfilling.  Pet names are also comforting to me.  I have given many over the years to family and friends.  I think of them as love words from the heart.  My Dad called me Sissy boo when he was wanting to tease me a little bit, he was a great one for teasing.  He always said that if someone took the time to tease you just to 'aggravate the hound out of you' then they really loved you.  I have really felt the love most of my life!  Curt and I had a few pet names for each other, most often he called me Babe and I called him Big Boy.  We even won a contest once during a Christian couples retreat.  They had a game similar to the dating game, we answered every question right with the last one being pet names. So many good memories.

Here are some of my chosen comforts:
Rocking in Rocking Chairs
Fresh made Sweet Tea with a lemon
The smell of sheets that have dried on the clothes line.
The feel of a warm fire on your backside.
Homemade soup and bread with butter.
Fresh out of the oven cake still warm.
Chocolate-chip cookies soft and chewy
A sparkling clean house.
Watching the ocean dance early in the morning while drinking a great cup of coffee
Listening to the ocean late in the evening while drinking a  glass of wine and reminiscing about the day with loved ones.
The sweet smell of human bodies fresh out of the bath.
Laughter, Music, and the sound of a guitar sweetly playing in the summer evening
Road trips
Krsipy Cream donuts (hot ones)
Children and babies
smell of wood shavings
smell of coffee brewing
train whistles
fresh mown hay
all of the changing seasons offer their own comfort in their own way
birds chirping
the alter rail
communion
holding and reading the bible and understanding God's promise's
feeling and sharing love and knowing that you are loved
~The Gifts of the Spirit~
   Wisdom-Charity,
   Understanding-Faith,
   Counsel-Prudence,
   Courage-Fortitude,
   Knowledge-Hope,
   Piety-Justice
   Fear of The Lord-Temperance


God didn't promise days without pain, laughter without sorrow, sun without rain, but He did promise strength for the day, comfort for the tears, and light for the way.

Thank you for the gift of comfort.  LSL

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! What a great writer you are mom!
    Love you,
    Amy


    Amy Lane Germano

    ReplyDelete

'There is a time to speak up, and a time to be silent. A time to read and a time to write. A time to learn and a time to teach. A time to listen and a time to be heard. A time to lose and a time to gain. And for all of these things the time is now'. God Bless. LSJL

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.